Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu Description
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is a spectacular Andean hike, complete with high peaks, snowcapped mountains and tropical valleys. This trek is one of the 25 Best New Treks in the world according to National Geographic Magazine and is a cutting edge experience for adventurous travelers looking for a little more privacy and authenticity, with no limitation on spaces or permits.
The Quechua and pre-Inca people named this mountain Apu Salkantay (Savage mountain), is located in the Vilcabamba mountain range at an altitude of 6,271m (20,574 ft). Besides, Salkantay is Mt. Humantay, a snowcapped mountain at 5,917m (19,412 ft).
Salkantay trek is a great alternative to the Inca Trail, offers a perfect mix of trekking, culture and nature. But is not the only alternative trek to get to Machu Picchu. We also offer the: Inca Jungle Trail, Lares Trek.
- Spend 5 days on the Salkantay trek to visit one of the most beautiful new wonders of the world.
- Walk the Salkantay trek and observe diverse ecosystems, from the Andes, highlands and to the high jungle.
- Enjoy stunning views of the glacially shaped Salkantay and the magnificent high jungle.
- Hike up the Salkantay trek Highlands, after finishing the trek it’s time to relax at the Cocalmayo hot springs.
Keeping You Safe During COVID-19
- Use of a face mask mandatory for travelers in all public areas.
- Use of mandatory face mask for guides in all public areas.
- Hand sanitizer available for travelers and staff.
- Mandatory social distancing throughout the experience High traffic areas.
- Regularly disinfected transport vehicles.
- Temperature controls for travelers at the beginning of the experience